Thursday, September 29, 2011

Another week, more randomness

Well, I'm going on about one and a half weeks of this bad cold. It started off as just a lot of sinus drainage in my throat, then developed into a cough. For anyone who has given birth to multiple children, you may know that when the coughing starts, the bladder control tends to fail (sorry if this is TMI - it's one of those things we don't discuss in polite company, but most of my friends wouldn't fall in that category LOL!) So I've just been having SO much fun this week. There was the 3 am coughing fit that led me to sleep on the couch. The headache that popped up yesterday afternoon and has just finally gone away this morning. I've had to run kids to all sorts of activities every evening this week. I finally took some medicine that seems to have helped yesterday, however I have this really wonky metabolism that doesn't seem to process medication well. I didn't even take a full dose and I could barely get myself out of bed this morning (and the meds I took are supposed to be non-drowsy HA!) I am taking things very easy today to try to maybe kick this cold a bit more as it has really been slowing me down. I am not one of those strong women who handles pain and sickness well, I'm a wuss, and I've been tired for about 20 years straight since I gave up caffeine. With any luck I'll be back to myself by the start of next week. And if not, I'll muddle through, I just won't be very happy about it.
Had a very interesting conversation yesterday on one of my many car rides. I am listening to an audiobook, which I do quite a lot given the amount of time I am driving around. The current one is a thriller, not too bad overall, but the "bad guy" uses some slightly salty language sometimes. He was chasing a woman and calling her a bitch. This led to a conversation with the 6 & 7 year olds, who were in the car with me, about the word bitch. They wanted to know where it came from, why it's a bad word, why people would be insulted if you were calling them a dog, it went on for about 10 minutes. I am really hoping that I made it clear that they aren't to use that word and if they do it is a bad word and they will be in trouble. That then led to a discussion of the word hell, and when they can use it and when they can't - it was a surprisingly reasonable discussion to be having with two first graders. They really wanted to know the origin of all bad words, which I couldn't and wouldn't really get into with them, but it made me think about the grand scheme of the situation. Here I spend a lot of time telling my kids what words are bad and that they can't say them, but I never really explained why, and I wonder if it will make a difference to them down the road that I answered their questions to the best of my ability. Or, maybe the whole conversation was just two young boys trying to see how many times they could say the word bitch before their Mommy lost her cool. I'll probably never know.
I don't really have much else on my mind, other than that I am pretty sure I am going to head upstairs in a few minutes to try to sleep off what remains of the medication in my system. Of course, that means my cold symptoms may come back, but I'm going to try to be an optimist and pretend I am just starting to get better. I am looking forward to a good few days. The Cardinals pulled off the wins David had been hoping for, so he'll be in a good mood for a few days. I don't have a million things on my agenda for the next few days (only half a million, but I'll take it!) The weather is decent, my house is only in partial disarray, and I am enjoying the new TV season. Maybe there won't be too many other random things that pop in my head for awhile (or at least if they do, I won't really remember them because I have medicine brain!)

No comments:

Post a Comment